Newcastle Airport Metro Trains
Newcastle Airport is on the main line for the metro system. It is the easiest way of travelling to the airport from the city centre and mainline railway stations at Newcastle & Sunderland.
The Airport Metro station is right next to the passenger terminal (turn left immediately after you exit arrivals).
Route: Airport - Callerton Parkway - Bank Foot - Kingston Park - Fawdon - Wansbeck Road - Regent Centre - South Gosforth (transfer available to Whitley Bay) - Ilford Rd - West Jesmond - Jesmond - Haymarket - Monument (Transfer available to St James and North Shields) - Newcastle Central Station - Gateshead - Gateshead stadium - Felling - Heworth - Pelaw (transfer available to South Shields) - Sunderland. All trains go to Newcastle city centre, Gateshead & Sunderland.
Timings: Travel time to the city is 20-25 minutes and trains run every 12 minutes Monday-Saturday 05:44-23:44 & Sunday 06:27-23:58.
Transfer Times: To Newcastle City Centre 25 minutes: Gateshead 26 minutes: Whitley Bay 40 minutes (change at South Gosforth): South Shields 50 minutes (change at Pelaw).
Newcastle Metro Ticket Charges
Metro Single is valid for 90 minutes from when you buy it and can be used for one continuous journey on the Metro and on the train between Newcastle and Sunderland
The price depends on the number of zones you travel in: 1 Zone £1.40/ 2 Zones £2.20/3 Zones £2.90.
Metro Return are valid at all times of the day (although you must complete your first journey within 90 minutes of purchasing your ticket) for return journeys on the Metro and on the train between Newcastle and Sunderland.
It is much cheaper than buying two single tickets with price of a return ticket reduced after 09.00 on weekdays and all day at weekends and public holidays.
The price depends on the number of zones you travel in:
|Zone||Price after 09.00||Price before 09.00|
Metro Hopper is a one zone ticket which gives you unlimited travel in your chosen zone (you must complete your first journey within 90 minutes of purchasing your ticket) so you can hop on and off at your favourite destination as many times as you like
Purchase any of the above tickets at the machine on the Metro station. Simply press 1, 2, or 3 on the single panel.
For more info call TravelLine on 0870 608 2608 or visit www.tyneandwearmetro.co.uk.
Trains at Newcastle Airport
There is no a railway station at the airport but the Metro will take you directly to Newcastle Central Station where you can make connections to other parts of the country.
Newcastle Station on the East Coast Main Line . Passenger services are operated by several companies:
- GNER trains run to London King's Cross via York and Doncaster and to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Inverness and Aberdeen in Scotland.
- Virgin Trains run to Birmingham -new Street, Bristol Temple Meads and Parkway, Cardiff Central, Devon and Cornwall (via york), Leeds, Doncaster, sheffield, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Aberdeen
- Northern Rail operates local services within Tyneside, Wearside, Teesside, Yorkshire, Cumbria and Northumberland to destinations including Sunderland, Middlesborough, Hexham, Carlisle and Glasgow via Dumfries
- Transpennine Express trains run to Manchester and Liverpool Lime Street stations via York, Leeds and Huddersfield
- First ScotRail operates two daily services to Stranraer via Carlisle
Click on the links above for detailed timetables or fares or telephone 0044 (0)8457 48 4950 www.nationalrail.co.uk